Friday, December 13, 2013

7 years ago today...

It doesn't matter where, when, or how it gets brought up.. I will never forget the details and memories I have from having a preemie baby. When I got pregnant at 15, I was scared to death. I was in denial. I wouldn't tell a soul. I never took a pregnancy test, I just knew that I was. I was obviously getting bigger each day. I was extremely tired. I still remember the first time I felt my baby "move". I was sitting upstairs on the computer, I felt this fluttery feeling. I knew it was my baby and I was so happy. Time went by and eventually my mom brought me a pregnancy test and told me to just take it. I was mortified but I knew I had to do it. So I took the test after everyone left. It immediately came back positive. I text my Mom and said "You are right. I am pregnant." With that, we made an appointment for the doctor. On September 15th, 2006, I found out I was 23 weeks pregnant and having a little baby boy. I was sure it was going to be a girl. So was Jake. But we were both SO excited, my Mom took us to the store and bought some cute boy stuff. 

Never in my life did I think I would be having a baby at the age of 15. I was excited but I really had no idea what was coming. I was a little girl myself! I still had high school to live through. I wasn't ready to have a family. But I was in love and I wanted this baby so we could be a happy family. 

A few weeks went by and on October 20th, I went into labor. I had no idea what labor even was. It hadn't even been a month since this whole thing came out and I was being told I was going to have a baby! I didn't have more than couple of outfits for him. I got to the hospital, was dilated to a 3. This was only a matter of a couple of hours. I was 28 weeks pregnant and in the worst pain of my life. 

I was life flighted to the University and put on bed rest there at the hospital until I had him. They wanted me to be there until at least 36 weeks. I knew it was going to be hard but I wanted to keep my little guy safe! My Mom stayed with me every night. Early Monday morning (the 23rd) around 5:00am, I woke up and thought I was having contractions again. I felt really stupid for some reason and didn't want to page the nurse. But I did anyway, and sure as heck, I was having contractions. They got me in for an ultrasound at 11:30 AM and confirmed we would need to do an emergency C-Section. I was terrified. There was so much going on with Jake's family and I just didn't feel ready. I was a crying mess. At 2:00 PM they wheeled me into the OR and I can still picture myself shaking when they were giving me my epidural! Thankfully, they let my Mom be in the room along with Jake. (I wanted my Mommy!) At 2:33 PM my little buddy was born. I didn't get to see him, but I heard great things about him. He was great color, he peed all over the nurses and was crying a lot. All great things about a 28 week preemie. :)

I was required to wait after surgery to recover. I wanted to see my baby so I pushed it. As soon as I could feel my legs I wanted to go up and I did. I will never forget getting wheeled into the NICU and seeing this tiny little baby under a big incubator... He was laying on a froggy blanket. His sweet little eyes goopy from the eye medicine. I cried & cried. He was beautiful and alive and mine.

I didn't skip a single day to go see him. Thankful for my Mom, she got FMLA and was able to take me every day. I watched him grow day by day and waited patiently to hear when he would come home. The hospital was AMAZING. They treated us like family. They would surprise me with photoshoots. Holidays, my birthday. Jackson was one loved baby. 

On December 13th 2006, my sweet little baby got released from the hospital. He was wearing little baby jeans, a green and blue monster truck hoodie, and some little camo shoes. He was the best dressed 5 pound baby out there! I was scared but SO excited to get him home with me. We drove Jake's big red truck home. My best friends had my house decorated and was awaiting our arrival.

I'm so grateful for these things. It was an extremely difficult time in my life but nothing in this world has brought me more happiness than being a Mom. I can't believe it's been 7 years since I brought him home. I still get just as excited when he comes home now as I did that day. 

I love you, Jackson Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment